[Gluster-users] Configuring Ganesha and gluster on separate nodes?

Surya K Ghatty ghatty at us.ibm.com
Wed Dec 2 19:38:59 UTC 2015

Hi Soumya, Kaleb, all:

Thanks for the response!

Quick follow-up to this question - We tried running ganesha and gluster on
two separate machines and the configuration seems to be working without
issues.

Follow-up question I have is this: what changes do I need to make to put
the Ganesha in active active HA mode - where backend gluster and ganesha
will be on a different node. I am using the instructions here for putting
Ganesha in HA mode. http://www.slideshare.net/SoumyaKoduri/high-49117846.
This presentation refers to commands like gluster
cluster.enable-shared-storage to enable HA.

1. Here is the config I am hoping to achieve:
glusterA and glusterB on individual bare metals - both in Trusted pool,
with volume gvol0 up and running.

Ganesha 1 and 2 on machines ganesha1, and ganesha1. And my gluster storage
will be on a third machine gluster1. (with a peer on another machine
gluster2).

Ganesha node1: on a VM ganeshaA.
Ganesha node2: on another vm GaneshaB.

I would like to know what it takes to put ganeshaA and GaneshaB in Active
Active HA mode. Is it technically possible?

a. How do commands like cluster.enable-shared-storage work in this case?
b. where does this command need to be run? on the ganesha node, or on the
gluster nodes?

2. Also, is it possible to have multiple ganesha servers point to the same
gluster volume in the back end? say, in the configuration #1, I have
another ganesha server GaneshaC that is not clustered with ganeshaA or
ganeshaB. Can it export the volume gvol0 that ganeshaA and ganeshaB are
also exporting?

thank you!

Surya.

Regards,

Surya Ghatty

"This too shall pass"

Surya Ghatty | Software Engineer | IBM Cloud Infrastructure Services
Development | tel: (507) 316-0559 | ghatty at us.ibm.com