[Gluster-users] Why can't a glusterfs share be mounted with one gluster server?

Merlin Morgenstern merlin.morgenstern at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 11:14:42 UTC 2015

I have two gluster servers installed on seperate machines. The function as
failover and I do mount on each machine with the coresponding gluster
client. This only seems to work if both gluster servers are live.

It seems that something is misconfigured or misunderstood by myself how
gluster works.

This is my configuration of the volume:

user at xnode1:~$ sudo mount gs1:/volume1 /data/nfs/
^Cuser at xnode1:~$ sudo gluster volume info

Volume Name: volume1
Type: Replicate
Volume ID: 92d9adb8-756b-4138-87a8-23237d21688f
Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: gs1:/data/gluster/brick
Brick2: gs2:/data/gluster/brick
Options Reconfigured:
performance.readdir-ahead: on
performance.cache-size: 256MB
server.allow-insecure: on
performance.io-thread-count: 16
performance.client-io-threads: on

Brick1 is on the same site as the running gluster-server.

Why do I need to have Brick2 online? It is configured in replication mode.