[Gluster-users] Backup bricks?

Avra Sengupta asengupt at redhat.com
Mon Aug 17 09:12:35 UTC 2015

Hi Thibault,

Instead of backing up, individual bricks or the entire thin logical
volume, you can take a gluster volume snapshot, and you will have a
point in time backup of the volume.

gluster snapshots internally use thin lv snapshots, so you can't move
the backup out of the system. Also having the backup on the same
filesystem as the data doesn't protect you from device failure
scenarios. However in events of any other data loss or corruption, you
can restore the volume from the snapshot, mount the read-only snapshot
and copy the necessary files.

In order to take backup at a remore site, using geo-rep is recommended.

Regards,
Avra