[Gluster-users] GlusterFS and DFS

Colin Coe colin.coe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 03:54:28 UTC 2015

Hi all

I've setup a two node replicated system that is providing NFS and
SMB/CIFS services to clients (RHEL5,6,7 with NFS and
WinXP,7,2008R2,2012R2).

I'm try to create a DFS mount point for Windows nodes to use.  I'm
doing this so that if I have to take down one of the Gluster nodes for
maintenance, Windows nodes won't be affected.

I've googled but not found how to make Gluster and Samba DFS play nicely.

Version info:
OS - RHEL7.1
Samba - 4.1.12
Gluster - 3.7.3

smb.conf (sanitized)
---
[global]
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        realm = DOMAIN.COMPANY.COM
        server string = Samba Server Version %v
        security = ADS
        kerberos method = secrets and keytab
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        client signing = if_required
        load printers = No
        winbind enum users = Yes
        winbind enum groups = Yes
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        winbind nss info = rfc2307
        winbind refresh tickets = Yes
        winbind offline logon = Yes
        idmap config DOMAIN:range = 10000-9999999999
        idmap config DOMAIN:schema_mode = rfc2307
        idmap config DOMAIN:backend = ad
        idmap config *:range = 2000-9999
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        map acl inherit = Yes
        printing = bsd
        cups options = raw
        print command = lpr -r -P'%p' %s
        lpq command = lpq -P'%p'
        lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j
        store dos attributes = Yes
        vfs objects = acl_xattr

[fileshare]
        comment = For samba share of volume gv_fileshare
        path = /export/dfsroot
        admin users = @'DOMAIN\Domain, Admins'
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        vfs objects = glusterfs, acl_xattr
        msdfs root = Yes
        glusterfs:loglevel = 7
        glusterfs:logfile = /var/log/samba/gv_fileshare.log
        glusterfs:volume = gv_fileshare
---

gluster volume status
---
Status of volume: gv_fileshare
Gluster process                             TCP Port  RDMA Port  Online  Pid
Brick benfil01:/export/vdb1/brick1          49153     0          Y       2286
Brick benfil02:/export/vdb1/brick1          49154     0          Y       3629
NFS Server on localhost                     2049      0          Y       19731
Self-heal Daemon on localhost               N/A       N/A        Y       19739
NFS Server on fs02                                       N/A       N/A
       N       N/A
Self-heal Daemon onfs02                                 N/A       N/A
      Y       3595

Task Status of Volume gv_fileshare
There are no active volume tasks
---

Lastly, I can't work out why the NFS service generally doesn't start
on boot.  It seems to be somewhat automagical...  I've been through
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_NFS_Frequently_Asked_Questions
but can't see whats wrong.  How do I go about trouble shooting this?

Thanks