[Gluster-users] ganesha BFS

Anand Subramanian ansubram at redhat.com
Thu Aug 13 09:36:29 UTC 2015

Hi Prasun,

pNFS was recently released in a "tech-preview" form. With multiple
MDS-es or even an all-symmetric arch (every ganesha node can act as both
DS and MDS, which will also be a supported config) you could potentially
see improvements (due to increased throughput) but, from our experiments
so far (and this is certainly work in progress) there is much improved
perf for large files and not so much for small file i/o (using
distributed iozone workloads). That said, we have not done a lot of work
playing around with the tuneables  as yet (glusterfs side options and
things like vm-background ratio and vm-dirty ratio tuning on the OS
side) for small file pNFS access, so it is pending exercise at this
point. We can confirm only when these performance experiments are
completed. But if you happen to have large files as well, it should be a
win. And the best part is, it comes at zero extra cost to try it out.

If you have the bandwidth, you should probably give pnfs a spin with the
latest glusterfs versions if you want very quick answers. It is quite
easy to setup and we could lend a helping hand there. And maybe you will
pleasantly surprise us  ;-) :)

Anand