[Gluster-users] Shared IP address

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed Apr 29 10:10:42 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:34:31AM +0200, Sharad Shukla wrote:
> Hi Susant,
>
> I have installed Glusterfs in 2 machines which I want to use for
> establishing cluster. I am using CentOs 6.6. The gluster volume is set up
> and running fine. I am manually creating the files onto the mounted volume
> and they are replicating..
>
> So far looks like everything is working. Now I have configured a shared ip
> address for reaching the replicated volume by using the following command:
>
> gluster volume set [VOLUME] auth.allow [IP ADDRESS]
>
> This IP address is visible to me under "gluster volume info", but I am
> unable to ping this ip address. I am getting the message that "Host is
> unreachable"

This option allows connecting *from* that IP-address to the volume. It
is not an option that automatically configures a virtual ip-address for
the trusted storage pool of your Gluster servers.

> I need this ip address reachable so that I can connect my application which
> needs to use this shared ip to connect to cluster.

You would need to use a cluster manager that handles IP-addresses and
their relocation on failure. Or a load-balancer that redirects the
IP-address to the actual servers.

An other option is to use the "backup-volfile-servers" or
"backupvolfile-server" mount option. That way you an specify a fall-back
server during the mount process. After the mounting, the client will
talk to all the bricks in the volume directly, and not use the virtual
IP-address anymore.

HTH,
Niels