[Gluster-users] Disastrous performance with rsync to mounted Gluster volume.

Ben Turner bturner at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 18:25:39 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

Gluster writes to both bricks in the pair at the same time, bricks should never be out of sync when they are both online.

> Now, I'm trying to mount the Gluster volume over the network from the
> backup server, using NFS (the backup server doesn't and can't have a
> compatible version of GlusterFS on it, I plan to nuke it and install an
> OS that does support it, but first we have to get this mail store copied
> over!). Then I use rsync to copy only missing files to the NFS share and
> let Gluster do its own replication. This has been many, many times
> slower than just using rsync to copy the files, even considering the
> amount of data (439 GB). CPU usage on the Gluster servers is fairly
> high, with a server load value of about 4 on an 8 CPU system. Network
> usage is... well, not that high. Maybe topping about 50-70 Mbps. This
> same story is true whether I'm looking at the network usage for the
> primary, server-facing network or the secondary, Gluster-only network,
> so I don't think the bottleneck is there. Hard drive utilization peaks
> at around 40% but doesn't really stay that high.

Hmm I am confused, are you using kernel NFS or gluster NFS to copy the data over?  The only way I can think of a file to get on gluster without a GFID is if you put it directly on the brick without going through glusterfs?  Be sure not to do work on the backend bricks, always access the data through gluster.  The logs below defiantly indicate a problem.  Here is what I would do:

<create gluster volume>
On the server with the data:
mount -t nfs -o vers=3 <my gluster volume> /gluster-volume
cp -R <my data> <my gluster mount>
<go home, drink beer, come back the next day>

If you need to use rsync I would look at the --whole-file option and/or forcing it to write in bigger in larger block sizes.  The rsync workload is one of the worst I can think of for glusterfs, it does a ton of stating and copies the files in really small block sizes which creates tons of round trips for gluster.  How much data are you copying?  How many files?  Which version

To address:

"Maybe topping about 50-70 Mbps."

This is as fast as gigabit + replica 2 will do from a single client, each client writes to both bricks at the same time which cuts your throughput in half.  Gigabit theoretical is 125 MB / sec, most gigabit NICs get ~120 MB / sec in the real world, half of that is ~60 MB / sec which is what gluster + replica 2 will do from a single client.