[Gluster-users] GlusterFS with iSCSI and PaceMaker

Jon Heese jonheese at jonheese.com
Tue Apr 21 11:49:02 UTC 2015

Justin,

I do something similar, but not quite as complex.

I have a replicated (x2) Gluster volume where I drop thin-provisioned iSCSI volume files to be served up via tgtd on CentOS6.  I mount the Gluster volume locally on both Gluster servers (FUSE driver), then point the tgtd daemons to the image files.  I use this as a back-end for a VMware ESXi datastore, so I'm using the multipath iSCSI functionality of ESXi to handle the failover between the nodes.

I was previously doing this with DRBD/Pacemaker/Corosync, but ESXi freaks out when all paths to a datastore go down, and it takes ~2-5 seconds for the entire cluster stack to go down and come back up during an orderly failover (to say nothing of a catastrophic failover), so that model just didn't work for me.

I've since done some testing with just a simple VIP in Keepalived on top of Gluster using LIO and the libgfapi stuff on CentOS7, and that seemed to work great -- but I have some other incompatibilities with CentOS7, so I decided not to pursue that for this project -- maybe another one on the horizon.

I briefly tried testing the libgfapi driver on CentOS6 with my current production setup, but when I started the rebuild tgtd instance it gave my iSCSI LUNs different LUN numbers so my ESXi cluster didn't recognize them as different paths to the same LUN.  I couldn't be bothered to work out the reason for this change, so I just switched back in the meantime.  I will probably play with it a bit in a test environment when I have time -- the libgfapi stuff should be faster and more efficient than going through the FUSE stuff.

What would the Pacemaker CRM handle for you, besides a shared VIP?  Would you want it to start/stop the iSCSI target daemon as well?  (If so, why?)  Is there any reason to use a full CRM for this versus a simple VIP in something like keepalived?

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

Regards,

Jon Heese