[Gluster-users] strange "permission denied" problem

Raghavendra Talur raghavendra.talur at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 04:26:07 UTC 2015

On Apr 17, 2015 01:17, "Alex Crow" <acrow at integrafin.co.uk> wrote:

> On 16/04/15 19:46, Nikolai Grigoriev wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new to gluster and would appreciate if someone could help me to
understand what may be wrong.

>> We have a small filesystem (currently - just one brick) and on the same
client node I have two processes. One is writing files to a specific
glusterfs share and another one is periodically scanning that directory and
most. There are not too many files written, maybe one in a couple of
seconds.

>> Quite often (about 20% of the cases) the "consumer" process fails to
open the file written by the "producer". The producer does create a
temporary file first and then renames it to its final name. Both processes
are Java apps.

> I'm seeing a lot of this kind of thing reported on the list lately.
>
> It makes me worry that glusterfs may not be production-ready for critical
data that requires updates to be visible at the same instant in time across
multiple clients. Should not updates be atomic and consistent across all
connected clients? Is there a limitation of the present architecture? Or is
there something we need to set on the server side to enforce such
consistency? The available docs certainly don't make such things plain.

> For our current proposed workload this is not very important but for
applications like email storage for IMAP and transactional applications
it's essential.

> Thanks.

We would require the following information to debug this issue

1. What access protocol are you using to access gluster?  Fuse,  nfs or
smb.
2.  Are both producer and consumer processes accessing through same mount
point?
3. Logs for gluster mount,  they would be located in /var/log/glusterfs/
with name like mnt-glustermount.log if mount point is
/mnt/glustermount.