[Gluster-users] glusterFS 3.6.2 migrate data by remove brick command

Jiri Hoogeveen j.hoogeveen at bluebillywig.com
Tue Apr 14 12:11:00 UTC 2015

Hi Sander,

> Since version 3.6 the remove brick command migrates the data away from the brick being removed, right?
It should :)
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Storage/3/pdf/Administration_Guide/Red_Hat_Storage-3-Administration_Guide-en-US.pdf page 100, is I think a good start.
I think this is the most complete documentation.

> When I have replicated bricks (replica 2), I also need to do "remove brick <volume> replica 2 brick1 brick2 …. , right?

Yes, you need to remove both replica’s at the same time.

> Last but not least, is there any way to tell how long a “remove brick” will take when it’s moving the data? I have dual 10GB ethernet between the cluster members and the brick storage is a RAID-6 set which can read 400-600MB/sec without any problems.

Depends on the size of the disk, the number of files and type of file. Network speed is less a issu, then the IO on the disks/brick.
To migratie data from one disk to a other (is like self-healing) GlusterFS will do a scan of all files on the disk, which can cause a high IO on the disk.

Because you had also some performance issues, when you added some bricks, I will expect the same issue with remove brick. So do this at night if possible.

Grtz, Jiri