[Gluster-users] Why revamp Gluster.org?

Tuomas Kuosmanen tigert at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 11:11:23 UTC 2015

> Wiki process:
> 1. user reports instructions are failing
> 2. click the link for the failing instructions
> 3. identify the problem with the instructions
> 4. click edit
> 5. edit
> 6. save
> Average total time: 2 minutes

This is true. However, just making it easy to edit is not going to solve
the problem.

There needs to be coordinated effort to maintain docs, so that whenever we
do a release, the content is also updated according to code changes between
versions. Just like a lot of developers with commit access won't necessarily
improve your code quality.

> And that's only if you have permissions and know what you're doing. If
> the average user sees that typo that needs fixed, it's not going to
> happen when they can't just click "edit". They're not even going to tell
> you about it.

Now that the web repo is moving to github, it's possible to add "edit this
page in github" link on the bottom of pages, which takes you to the github
web editor. It should work OK for typos and other quick changes. However,
for online documentation a tool made specifically for that might make most
sense.

> We're professionals with jobs to do. Our jobs are are
> completely unlike development. We're not just responsible for getting
> our code into the project and ensuring it passes. We're responsible to
> customers with SLAs. We have time based commitments that have to be
> adhered to. If we have to take the time to learn how to contribute, it's
> just not going to happen.

You are right, but it's also everybody's job to contribute, because there
is nobody else to do it.

So while we are discussing the technical choices and tools, I could use some
help in describing what gluster is, and what we want to say to a newcomer
who loads up www.gluster.org, and how we could help them to install and try
out Gluster.

Feel free to reply to this mail, or submit merge requests here:
https://github.com/gluster/glusterweb

//Tuomas