[Gluster-users] bonding question

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 14:17:27 UTC 2014

Indeed. Only the rr (round robin) mode will get higher performance on a
single stream. It also means that packets may be received out-of-order
which can cause retransmissions (so it should never be used for UDP
services like SIP/RTP). AFAIK it only works with Cisco etherchannel and
does not scale well.

Multiple streams are balanced using the XOR of the two endpoint MAC
addresses in mode 4. This can be changed to include L3 data (eg src/dest
IP) but switch support is again limited for the alternate algo. I know
my kit can't be changed to add L3 data. As long as you have multiple
clients the default mode 4 will scale almost linearly and will be
guaranteed to work across any switch that supports LACP.

Cheers

Alex