[Gluster-users] Can not change brick with replace-brick.

Mike Sirius mike.sirius at metropolis.co.uk
Mon Sep 15 16:41:05 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

I need to change a server for one brick on two volumes, however I’m getting an error and not sure way.

ubuntu at ip-10-250-154-164:/var/lib$ sudo gluster volume info

Volume Name: gv0
Type: Replicate
Number of Bricks: 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: ec2-46-137-0-188.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:/export/brick1
Brick2: ec2-46-137-52-99.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:/export/brick1

Volume Name: gv1
Type: Replicate
Number of Bricks: 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: ec2-46-137-0-188.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:/export/wp-brick1
Brick2: ec2-46-137-52-99.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:/export/wp-brick1

~~~

What happened is. The server, which is brick1, got taken down, upgraded and launched again.
Of course after a new launch it got new DNS, everything else the same.

Other servers which are using gluster (have a gluster mount) are fine as well. I have updated /etc/fstab and mounted gluster to new DNS.

However, if I go to one of the gluster servers and do ‘gluster volume info’ I see that brick1 is old DNS (see above).

So, I tried to replace the brick:

ubuntu at ip-10-250-154-164:/var/lib$ sudo gluster volume replace-brick gv0 ec2-46-137-0-188.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:/export/brick1 ec2-54-228-85-244.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:/export/brick1 start
brick: ec2-46-137-0-188.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:/export/brick1 does not exist in volume: gv0

~~

I clearly did not do any typo… totally not sure way is it saying ‘brick does not exists in that volumne’, when volume info shows that brick?

Please help ☺

This email is private and confidential and may contain information which is privileged and protected from disclosure. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Email communications are not secure and therefore the Company does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this email. Any opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the author and do not represent those of the Company. If verification of the contents of this email is required, please request a hard copy version from the appropriate person. Emails to and from the Company may be monitored for operational reasons. Although the Company operates anti-virus scanning systems, it does not accept responsibility for any damage caused by attachments transmitted with this email.