[Gluster-users] error when using mount point as a brick directory.

Juan José Pavlik Salles jjpavlik at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 13:00:16 UTC 2014

Hi Paul, that's is more a warning than an error. This advice helps you
avoid situations like this:

-Lets assume you have a directory called /brick/brick1 in your root device
-Then you mount your brick on /bricks/brick1
-Everything is great, BUT if your drive (brick1 drive) eventually fails and
doesn't mount you would be writing files on /brick/brick1 because the
directory will exist anyway(eventhough the brick is not mounted), so you
could end up with your root partition full of gluster files. A full root
partition is a potencial big problem almost in any case.

Let me know if I wasn't clear enough.

> #gluster volume create g1 replica 2 lab1:/brick1 lab2:/brick1
> volume create: g1: failed: The brick lab1:/brick1 is a mount point. Please
> create a sub-directory under the mount point and use that as the brick
> directory. Or use 'force' at the end of the command if you want to override
> this behavior.
>
> # df -h
> /dev/sdb                     8.0G   43M  8.0G   1% /brick1
>

> I found a thread which talked about this:
> http://gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users.old/2013-May/013065.html
>
> > The quick start guide needs to be updated. The brick directory should
> > ideally be a sub-directory of a mount point (and not a mount point
> > directory itself) for ease of administration. We recently added code to
> > warn about this (and looks like the code check exposed a documentation
> bug
> > which you just shared!)
>
> I have no idea about how this affects administration in real cases.
> For me, for example, if I want to cleanup the brick, I just umount & mkfs
> it
> simply, but adding one more sub-directory will definitely add more cycles
> in kernel to
> do lookup for each file access (Let's not consider dentry cache at first).
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Pavlik Salles Juan José
Blog - http://viviendolared.blogspot.com