[Gluster-users] error when using mount point as a brick directory.

Paul Guo bigpaulguo at foxmail.com
Fri Sep 12 05:44:18 UTC 2014

#gluster volume create g1 replica 2 lab1:/brick1 lab2:/brick1
volume create: g1: failed: The brick lab1:/brick1 is a mount point. Please create a sub-directory under the mount point and use that as the brick directory. Or use 'force' at the end of the command if you want to override this behavior.

# df -h
/dev/sdb                     8.0G   43M  8.0G   1% /brick1

I found a thread which talked about this:
http://gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users.old/2013-May/013065.html

> The quick start guide needs to be updated. The brick directory should
> ideally be a sub-directory of a mount point (and not a mount point
> directory itself) for ease of administration. We recently added code to
> warn about this (and looks like the code check exposed a documentation bug
> which you just shared!)

I have no idea about how this affects administration in real cases.
For me, for example, if I want to cleanup the brick, I just umount & mkfs it
simply, but adding one more sub-directory will definitely add more cycles in kernel to
do lookup for each file access (Let's not consider dentry cache at first).

Thanks,
Paul