[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Proposal for GlusterD-2.0

Mike S mike at luminatewireless.com
Mon Sep 8 21:05:19 UTC 2014

Is there any reason not to consider zookeeper? The 3.4 release is
quite stable and due to a large number of users, bugs are fixed and
its quirks are known.

I like the idea of RAFT. The paper is well written and very
compelling. The last time I read it, a number of critical issues were
glossed over - for instance, log compaction and pruning. Systems must
be correct in both theory and implementation. Although many raft-based
sustems have cropped in the last year or so since RAFT was published,
I don't judge their use to be significant compared to zookeeper.
Quality only comes with maturity and many workloads bashing on it.

The last time I needed to build up a new distributed system, I had
written up some notes about etcd vs zookeeper. Perhaps you will find
them helpful, or motivate some new questions before you make your
decision.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FOnLD26W9iQ2CUZ-jVCn7o0OrX8KPH7QGeokN4tA_j4/edit