[Gluster-users] Feedback and future plans for glusterfsiostat

Vipul Nayyar nayyar_vipul at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 14:00:44 UTC 2014

Hi Justin,

Regarding the server.py script, yes that graph is live and it is refreshed periodically. According to the model right now, the server script at the backend polls the meta directory of mounted volumes repeatedly, calculates the speed from the difference of values encountered and stores it. Another thread on the server flushes this data to the webpage as and when the server is accessed through a browser. The current interval of requests done from server to mounted volume and from browser to server is 1 sec.

On the other note, I'm not sure that io-stats stores stats related to a specific directory or inode as of know, IIRC. As Krishnan said, we'll have to look into other methods if we intend to do that.

Regards
Vipul Nayyar

On Thursday, 4 September 2014 3:17 AM, Justin Clift <justin at gluster.org> wrote:

On 03/09/2014, at 3:48 PM, Vipul Nayyar wrote:
<snip>
> 3) server.py which is a web server written with very basic python libraries. I've attached some screenshots of the server in action while visualizing live data from gluster mounts in the form of web based graphs.
>
> Justin, since this web server implementation is a bit similar to your tool glusterflow, your feedback regarding this is really important and valuable.

Thanks.  Server.py is the bit that caught my attention too. :)

I like the screenshots.  Does server.py update/refresh in real-time?

Also, one thing that's missing in the screenshots is the time info
on the X axis.  eg how far apart are each of the tick marks on the
x axis?  Minor oversight, but important. ;)

> Some key points for those who want to test this thing.
>
> • Apply this patch http://review.gluster.org/#/c/8244/ , build and install.
> • Please grab the latest source code from https://forge.gluster.org/glusterfsiostat
> • Profiling needs to be turned on for the volumes regarding which you want I/O data.
> • Run the cmd line tool by `python stat.py` Giving --help tag would list the other options.
> • Start the server.py script in the same way and point your browser at 'localhost:8080'
> • The gluster mounts would be visible as separate tabs on the left in browser. Click on a tab to see the related graphs.
> • Since these graphs show live I/O activity, you need to run a read/write operation to see the graphs in action.
> Please do contact me regarding any suggestions or thoughts about this.

This is is very cool.  As a thought, since I don't know the code
at all, is could it do stuff for parts of a volume?

For example in the server.py GUI a person could give a directory
path inside a volume, and it would show the IO operations stats
for just that path?

+ Justin

--
GlusterFS - http://www.gluster.org