[Gluster-users] replaceing bricks from a cluster with replication

Ted Miller tmiller at hcjb.org
Wed Oct 15 20:29:31 UTC 2014

On 10/15/2014 3:46 PM, John G. Heim wrote:

>> You don't say, so I will assume you have 2 bricks per machine, resulting
>> in 2 names returned when you execute a
>>      gluster volume list
>>
>> command.  I will assume that your volumes are named 'Dick' and 'Jane' and
>> one brick per machine.
>
> Well, maybe I'm missing something but I have only one volume.  Was I
> supposed to do it differently?
You didn't miss anything at all :)  It all depends on what you are trying to
store on gluster, and how that storage needs (or doesn't need) to be
separated into different volumes.  If your data can all live happily together
in one volume, that is just fine.  Not everyone has storage requirements that
are that simple.  When they want to do something like this, they have to
repeat for each separate volume.

In my explanation, you just can ignore step 4!

However, before you try my way, Joe Julian posted what looks like a simpler
way to accomplish the same thing.  You still have to work brick by brick, but
he does the add and remove a brick in one step instead of my two.

Also, he (very wisely) includes the warning about waiting until each brick is
fully healed before going on to the next one.  Depending on the number and
size of your files, the heal may take quite a while.  The heal may also
interfere with normal access to the stored information, because it can
completely tie up your network connection shoving data across it.

Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN, USA