[Gluster-users] Brick is not connected (and other funny things)

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Mon Oct 13 15:59:13 UTC 2014

> On storage2 all is ok, but i have a split brain condition.
> /export/brick1 on storage1 doesn't contain datas....
FYI, not split-brain. Split-brain is where two differing copies both
think they're the correct one.

I replied to the questions you asked on my blog, but I'll repeat the
answers here:

> Should i stop the volume with gluster volume stop? Can i maintain up
> other volumes (and glusterfs) ?

No need to stop the volume. The brick cannot start without the volume-id
so there's nothing running that could be affected.

> Next i have to re assign the volume id. Is this right?
> A this point can i re-start the corrupted volume?

Once the volume-id is set you can restart the brick by either restarting
glusterd or "gluster volume start $vol force".

> Should i start any healing procedure? How?

I would do a "gluster volume heal $vol full" to ensure all files are
crawled for a heal.

On 10/08/2014 09:09 AM, Marco Marino wrote:
> Can someone help me?
> I'd like to restore my /export/brick1 on server1. Actually i have
> datas only on server2.
> I think that right instructions are:
> 1) setfattr -n ... on server1 ( this is a bug. Here more info ->
> http://www.joejulian.name/blog/replacing-a-brick-on-glusterfs-340/   I
> have the same error in logs)
> 2) Now i think i can re-start volume, so i should see an automatic
> healing procedure
> 3) All datas are replicated on server1
>
> Can i have a confirmation about this procedure? Other volumes are
> affected? Please, i cannot loose my data
>
> Thanks

> <mailto:marino.mrc at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Hi,
>     I'm trying to use glusterfs with my openstack private cloud for
>     storing ephemeral disks. In this way, each compute node mount
>     glusterfs in /nova and save instances on a remote glusterfs
>     (shared between the compute nodes, so live migration is very fast).
>     I have 2 storage node (storage1 and storage2) with replica 2.
>     In a first configuration i've used nfs on the clients. In
>     /etc/fstab of the compute nodes i have:
>     storage1:/cloud_rootdisk /nova nfs mountproto=tcp,vers=3 0 0
>
>     This creates a single point of failure because if storage1 goes
>     down, i have to remount manually on storage2. And this causes the
>     complete disk corruption of all VMs that running on all the
>     compute nodes. Really funny...
>
>     In a second configuration, i've used the gluster native client
>     with "backupvolfile-server=storage2". i've made few tests, but it
>     seems to work.
>     What i've tested:
>     on the compute node i have:
>     mount -t glusterfs -o
>     backupvolfile-server=server2,fetch-attempts=2,log-level=WARNING,log-file=/var/log/gluster.log
>     server1:/test-volume /gluster_mount
>
>     Then, I booted a vm and started to download a large file (1GB)
>     from the vm (so, i'm writing on the ephemeral disk stored via
>     glusterfs). During this download, i rebooted storage1 and the VM
>     seems to be not corrupted (so, the vm write only on storage2).
>     Can i have a confirmation about this? Is this the right way?
>
>     Next question:
>     When i rebooted storage1, it fails to start. it tells me that
>     /dev/sdc1 (the partition that i'm using for the test) is
>     corrupted. It could be a normal behavior because the server goes
>     down during a write. So, started the storage1 in single user mode
>     and xfs_repair /dev/sdc1. This make me able to start storage1. (yuppy)
>     Glusterfs starts correctly, but now i have "brick1 is not
>     connected", where /export/brick1 is the brick that i'm using on
>     storage1 for the volume used for tests.
>     On storage2 all is ok, but i have a split brain condition.
>     /export/brick1 on storage1 doesn't contain datas....
>     What can i have to do to restore /export/brick1 on storage1 ???

P.S. Sorry I couldn't help earlier. I had a very busy week out of town.