[Gluster-users] Perfomance issue on a 90+% full file system

Franco Broi franco.broi at iongeo.com
Tue Oct 7 23:40:12 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-08 at 07:59 +1000, Dan Mons wrote:
> I've not used ZFS in production.  Outside of GlusterFS, how does it
> handle running at 90%+ allocated?

A number of our bricks are at or close to 95% and we've not seem any
massive slow downs, we have gluster set to leave 5% free. I'm not saying
it isn't slower than when the disks were empty but production doesn't
appear to be suffering with disk levels above 90%. Latency for lookups
is sometimes a problem, files are not always where they are supposed to
be.

ZOL isn't the fastest filesystem out there, so maybe coming off a lower
base level hides the impact of fragmentation somewhat.

> Again, speaking outside of GlusterFS, ext3, ext4 and XFS all
> classically slow down when they reach high usage rates.  Not
> noticeable at all on my home media server in a family of 5, but hugely
> noticeable at work when hundreds of artists and render nodes on a mix
> of 1GbE and 10GbE are smashing a NAS.

We used ext3/ext4 with hardware RAID and NFS before moving to ZOL +
Gluster, so far (touching wood) it's an improvement on all counts.

What are you using for RAID? Judging from the video on your website, we
are using similar hardware.

> GlusterFS alleviates the problem somewhat (in combination due to it's
> distribution, and the fact that not all bricks hit ~90% at the same
> time).  But it's still felt.

Not sure where the 90% figure comes from, surely it depends on the disk
capacity???