[Gluster-users] NFS crashes - bug 1010241

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 12:51:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 09:21:23PM -0700, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> On 11/19/2014 6:53 PM, Ravishankar N wrote:
> > Heterogeneous op-version cluster is not supported. You would need to upgrade all servers.
> >
> > http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Upgrade_to_3.5
>
> I would be running 3.4.2 bricks with a later 3.4.x release on the NFS
> peers, not different minor versions.  I was hoping that at least would
> be a setup that is likely to work.  I would not expect things to work
> right on a long-term basis if I mixed 3.4.2 bricks with 3.5 or 3.6 NFS
> servers.
>
> I could really use a fixed 3.4.x, but having just read Joe Julian's
> message saying that he no longer recommends 3.4 because of the large
> number of bugfixes that have not been backported, I am not holding my
> breath.  My monitor/restart script manages the problem fairly
> effectively, and we won't be using Gluster for longer than a few more
> months.
>
> I would be willing to try patching the 3.4.2 source and installing new
> binaries, if someone can tell exactly me how to obtain the proper source
> and how to build new RPM packages (CentOS 6).  I installed 3.4.2 using
> the glusterfs-epel.repo file from download.gluster.org when 3.4.2 was new.

I am pretty sure we can backport the changes. At least the NFS patch is
pretty straight forward (attached). The DHT fix needs a little more
attention while backporting (http://review.gluster.org/6219).

Do you have a bug for this against the 3.4 version? If not, please file
one and I'll post the NFS change for inclusion.

Note that 3.4.2 does not get any updates, you would need to use the 3.4
stable release series, currently at 3.4.6.

Thanks,
Niels