[Gluster-users] Unavailability during self-heal for large volumes

Laurent Chouinard laurent.chouinard at ubisoft.com
Thu May 22 15:46:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

Digging in the archives of this list and bugzilla, it seems that the problem I'm about to describe has existed for a long time. However, I am unclear if a solution was found or not, so I'd like to get some input from the users mailing list.

For a volume with a very large number of files (several millions), following an outage from a node or if we replace a brick and present it empty to the cluster, the self-heal system kicks which is the expected behaviour.

However, during this self-heal, system load is so high that it renders the machine unavailable for several hours until it's complete. On certain extreme occasions, it goes so far as to prevent SSH login, and at some point we even had to force a reboot to recover a minimum of usability.

Has anyone found a way to control the load of the self-heal system to a more acceptable level? It is my understanding that the issue is caused by the very large number of IOPS required by every brick to enumerate all files and read metadata flags, then copy data and write changes. The machines are quite capable of heavy IO, since disks are all SSDs in raid-0 and multiple network links are bonded per machine for more bandwidth.

I don't mind the time it takes to heal, I mind the impact healing has over other operations.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Laurent Chouinard