[Gluster-users] 32 group limit

Anand Avati avati at gluster.org
Mon May 19 18:50:54 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:

> The 32 limit you are hitting is caused by FUSE. The Linux kernel module
> provides the groups of the process that accesses the FUSE-mountpoint
> through /proc/$PID/status (line starting with 'Groups:'). The kernel
> does not pass more groups than 32, this limit is hardcoded in the FUSE
> kernel module.

Minor nit - 32 groupid limit is independent of FUSE. It is just the limited
number of groupIDs the kernel exposes through proc. FUSE filesystems's only
option is to use this sub-optimal interface to get group IDs. It is not
unreasonable to actually implement a new reverse call in FUSE over
/dev/fuse to resolve group-ids of a given request/process. Even then, the
400byte RPC limit of 93 would apply (we could at some point in the future
move away from RPC)

Avati