[Gluster-users] Is this kind of VM replication possible with Glusterfs

kausik pal kausikpal.1 at gmail.com
Mon May 12 16:16:30 UTC 2014

Hi All,

PFA the two diagrams describing placement of the VMs during normal
condition and condition after two node failure in 5 node set up  (Each Node
can host up to 6 VMs due to memory constraints).

My question is whether this kind of VM replication as shown in the attached
diagram is possible utilizing GlusterFS.

The benefits of this kind of replication would be following :-

1. Any number of Hosts/Nodes can participate (Odd/Even) in the
infrastructure.

2. We can add odd number of Nodes to re-balance the VM placement.

3. After node failures the Maximum number of VMs that can run on the
remaining nodes can be calculated with the following formula(Which will be
higher w.r.t.  Gluster replicated volumes in most of the cases):-

*Total No. of VMs running after node failure = ((Total No. of Nodes) - (No.
of failed Nodes)) * (Max. No. of VMs that can run per Node)*

The attached table gives a rough calculation on maximum number VMs that can
run after node failures.

Please let me know if you need any further information from my side.

Thanks

Kausik