[Gluster-users] Proper procedure for changing the IP address of a glustefs server

Mark Morlino mark at gina.alaska.edu
Mon May 19 17:39:03 UTC 2014

Thank you for the replies Joe and Carlos.

Joe, I have tried probing from another peer several times, although perhaps
not in the correct sequence?
The bricks are setup using hostnames, however when I mount a volume with a
brick on the changed server I never see network connections to the new IP
address from the client.

It looks like this (that is the old IP address):

*[root at gluster2 ~]# gluster peer status*

*Number of Peers: 3*

 *Hostname: 10.10.113.99*

*Uuid: 9b5b5408-36f7-4090-b308-2a5b37dbe109*

*State: Peer in Cluster (Connected)*

*Hostname: gluster4*

*Uuid: ee9c307e-af6e-48c5-ae88-e6ed3bb35e5e*

*State: Peer in Cluster (Connected)*

*Hostname: gluster6*

*Uuid: 5904643e-d9a0-41e4-8672-dcef488d2e1b*

*State: Peer in Cluster (Connected)*

There is no network traffic to/from 10.10.113.99:

*[root at gluster2 ~]# ss -n | grep 10.10.113.99*

The new IP is 10.10.19.120 and there are many connections to it:

*[root at gluster2 ~]# host gluster3*

*gluster3 has address 10.10.19.120*

*[root at gluster2 ~]# ss -n | grep 10.10.19.120 | wc -l *

*94*

Probing by name does not seem to change anything:

*[root at gluster2 ~]# gluster peer probe gluster3*

*peer probe: success: host gluster3 port 24007 already in peer list*

*[root at gluster2 ~]# gluster peer status*

*Number of Peers: 3*

 *Hostname: 10.10.113.99*

*Uuid: 9b5b5408-36f7-4090-b308-2a5b37dbe109*

*State: Peer in Cluster (Connected)*

*Hostname: gluster4*

*Uuid: ee9c307e-af6e-48c5-ae88-e6ed3bb35e5e*

*State: Peer in Cluster (Connected)*

*Hostname: gluster6*

*Uuid: 5904643e-d9a0-41e4-8672-dcef488d2e1b*

*State: Peer in Cluster (Connected)*