[Gluster-users] False notifications

Sahina Bose sabose at redhat.com
Wed May 14 05:43:23 UTC 2014

On 05/14/2014 07:42 AM, Miloš Kozák wrote:
> Hi,
> I am running a field trial of Gluster 3.5 on two servers. These two
> server use one 10k HDD each with XFS as a brick. On top of these
> bricks I have one replica 2 volume:
>
> [root at nodef01i ~]# gluster volume info ph-fs-0
>
> Volume Name: ph-fs-0
> Type: Replicate
> Volume ID: 5085e018-7c47-4d4f-8dcb-cd89ec240393
> Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
> Brick1: 10.11.100.1:/gfs/s3-sata-10k/brick
> Brick2: 10.11.100.2:/gfs/s3-sata-10k/brick
> Options Reconfigured:
> performance.io-thread-count: 12
> network.ping-timeout: 2
> performance.cache-max-file-size: 0
> performance.flush-behind: on
>
> Additionally I am running nagios to monitor everything where I use
> http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/System-Metrics/File-System/GlusterFS-checks/details.
> I improved it slightly such that I monitor number of split-brain files
> and all this information go to the performance data, therefore I can
> draw pictures out of it (these pictures are in attachement).
>
> My problem is that I am receiving quite a lot of false warning from
> nagios during a day because there are some unsync files (gluster
> volume heal XXX info). I dont know if it is a bug or it is cause by my
> configuration. Either way it is quite disturbing and I am afraid that
> after receiving a lot false warning I could just omit an important one..

I think the issue is because the "gluster volume heal info" also reports
files undergoing I/O in addition to files that need self-heal. see
http://supercolony.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2014-May/040239.html
for more information on this. Pranith, please correct me if wrong.

On another note, we are also developing Nagios plugins that can be used
to monitor the various entities and services in the gluster cluster. The
repositories are here -

gluster-nagios-addons -
http://review.gluster.org/#/admin/projects/gluster-nagios-addons
nagios-server-addons -
http://review.gluster.org/#/admin/projects/nagios-server-addons

We will be putting together a short doc on these soon, meanwhile, please
feel free to check it out and give us your valuable feedback.