[Gluster-users] Possible to use libgfapi with libvirt in CentOS 6.5?

Dave Christianson davidchristianson3 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 12:07:08 UTC 2014

I've come across individual posts from people who supposedly have done this
in CentOS6.5. Basically, all that is shown in the posts is the XML file
generated, no mention of *how* that file is generated. Virt-manager has no
provision for attaching directly to the gluster volume except as a mount.
Neither virt-manager nor virt-install recognize the gluster:// type.

Supposedly earlier versions of RHEL used qemu-kvm as a wrapper for
qemu-system-x86_64, however in 6.5 qemu-kvm is its own binary. Qemu-kvm
also doesn't recognize the gluster:// type.

Debian and Ubuntu supposedly have the newer versions of gluster and
qemu/libvirt availabe (ppa's?). Maybe I'll test Wheezy...

Red Hat seems content to do their own thing. Although the verisons of
libvirt and qemu are older, libgfapi is supposed to have been backported.
It's a shame that full functionality is not included. It's mindboggling
seeing that Red Hat owns glusterfs, you would think full support for the
backend would have been included in their product. If it is, as you say,
that RH includes this functionality only to RHN subscribers and is not made
available downstream to CentOS/SL, and unless I can find a repository with
the latest full versions of qemu & libvirt, then CentOS simply will not
work.