[Gluster-users] Possible to use libgfapi with libvirt in CentOS 6.5?

Harshavardhana harsha at harshavardhana.net
Fri Mar 28 07:13:13 UTC 2014

Virt-manager / libvirt is yet to expose perhaps this functionality -
but as far as i remember libvirt should be doing this as a
pass-through for the URL's which have been passed  as

Does libvirt 'invoke' fuse when passed "gluster://" schema?

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Dave Christianson
<davidchristianson3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good Evening,
>
> I have read that libgfapi has been backported to qemu-kvm in RHEL 6.5 (and
> by virtue CentOS and SL). However I am unable to figure out how to actually
> make it work as described. Virt-manager still only seems to support
> glusterfs volumes via fuse.
>
> I can use qemu-img to create a disk image on gluster://<server>/<Volume>.
> But virt-manager can only use it from a fuse mounted fileshare. There seems
> to be no ability to attach in virt-manager directly to the image on
> glusterfs using libgfapi.
>
> All documents I've found describe the use of the command
> "qemu-system-x86_64," however that command does not exist in CentOS 6.5.
> That appears to be the only way to start the domain using libgfapi. So
> basically, I can create an image via libgfapi but cannot do anything useful
> with it.
>
> Should I be able to do this? If so, what's the procedure? Or is CentOS/RHEL
> 6.5 just not fully integrated? I really want to be able to use libgfapi and
> avoid the performance penalty of fuse. Should I just grab & compile the
> latest verisons of libvirt and qemu-kvm?

Religious confuse piety with mere ritual, the virtuous confuse
regulation with outcomes