[Gluster-users] Use single large bring or several smaller ones?

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 21:24:50 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Carlos Capriotti
<capriotti.carlos at gmail.com> wrote:
> James, can we agree to disagree on that ?

Of course! There are lots of different possible configurations, each
with different advantages and disadvantages.

> First, one of the main ideas of having a replicated/distributed filesystem
> is to have your data safe, and avoiding a single point of failure or, at the
> very least, minimizing the points of failure.
>
> By adding multiple bricks per server, you are increasing your risk.

Not sure I agree unilaterally.

> Regarding performance, glusterd will run on a single core. The more work you
> push to it (multiple volumes) the quicker it will saturate and cap your
> performance. (will, in all fairness, it will happen also with several
> connections, so, let's call this even).

Actually you get a different glusterfsd for each brick, so this can
increase the parallelism.

> Again, on performance, splitting volumes on a RAID6 will only make yo
> literally lose diskspace IF you divide you volumes on the controller.
> Remember: 6 disks on raid6 means having the available space of 4 disks,
> since the other two are "spares" (this is a simplification). On the other
> hand, if you use all of the 12 disks, you will have the available space of
> 10 disks, instead of 4x2=8.

There is some balance between performance and max available space.
It's up to the individual to pick that spot :)