[Gluster-users] Use single large bring or several smaller ones?

Carlos Capriotti capriotti.carlos at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 19:18:36 UTC 2014

James, can we agree to disagree on that ?

First, one of the main ideas of having a replicated/distributed filesystem
is to have your data safe, and avoiding a single point of failure or, at
the very least, minimizing the points of failure.

By adding multiple bricks per server, you are increasing your risk.

Regarding performance, glusterd will run on a single core. The more work
you push to it (multiple volumes) the quicker it will saturate and cap your
performance. (will, in all fairness, it will happen also with several
connections, so, let's call this even).

Again, on performance, splitting volumes on a RAID6 will only make yo
literally lose diskspace IF you divide you volumes on the controller.
Remember: 6 disks on raid6 means having the available space of 4 disks,
since the other two are "spares" (this is a simplification). On the other
hand, if you use all of the 12 disks, you will have the available space of
10 disks, instead of 4x2=8.

If the alternative create a single volume on the RAID controller, and the
create two logical volumes on the OS, STILL, you have one single RAID
controller, thus, you might still lose, since the OS would have some
overhead to control two volumes.

Now, REALLY important factors is, indeed, having "symmetrical" settings,
like same processors, same disk configuration for bricks, same mount of
ram, same NIC configurations, just to rule out all of those potential
problems that would make one node wait for the other.

Remember: gluster  write, as it would be expected, is only as fast as the
slowest node, thus affecting performance greatly.

Hope this helps.