[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] PLEASE READ ! We need your opinion. GSOC-2014 and the Gluster community

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 07:05:59 UTC 2014

I had a discussion with some developers here in the office regarding
this. We created a list of ideas which we thought could be suitable
for student projects. I've added these to [1]. But I'm also putting
them on here for more visibility.

(I've tried to arrange the list in descending order of difficulty as I find it)

. Glusterd services high availablity
    Glusterd should restart the processes it manages, bricks, nfs
server, self-heal daemon & quota daemon, whenever it detects they have
died.
. glusterfsiostat - Top like utility for glusterfs
    These are client side tools which will display stats from the
io-stats translator. I'm not currently sure of the difference between
the two.
. ovirt gui for stats
    Have pretty graphs and tables in ovirt for the GlusterFS top and
profile commands.
. monitoring integrations - munin others.
    The more monitoring support we have for GlusterFS the better.
. More compression algorithms for compression xlator
    The onwire compression translator should be extended to support
more compression algorithms. Ideally it should be pluggable.
. cinder glusterfs backup driver
    Write a driver for cinder, a part of openstack, to allow backup
onto GlusterFS volumes
. rsockets - sockets for rdma transport
    Coding for RDMA using the familiar socket api should lead to a
more robust rdma transport
. data import tool
    Create a tool which will allow already importing already existing
data in the brick directories into the gluster volume. This is most
likely going to be a special rebalance process.
. rebalance improvements
    Improve rebalance preformance.
. Improve the meta translator
    The meta xlator provides a /proc like interface to GlusterFS
xlators. We could further improve this and make it a part of the
standard volume graph.
. geo-rep using rest-api
    This might be suitable for geo replication over WAN. Using
rsync/ssh over WAN isn't too nice.
. quota using underlying fs quota
    GlusterFS quota is currently maintained completely in GlusterFSs
namespace using xattrs. We could make use of the quota capabilities of
the underlying fs (XFS) for better performance.
. snapshot pluggability
    Snapshot should be able to make use of snapshot support provided
by btrfs for example.
. compression at rest
    Lessons learnt while implementing encryption at rest can be used
with the compression at rest.
. file-level deduplication
    GlusterFS works on files. So why not have dedup at the level files as well.
. composition xlator for small files
    Merge smallfiles into a designated large file using our own custom
semantics. This can improve our small file performance.
. multi master geo-rep
    Nothing much to say here. This has been discussed many times.

Any comments on this list?
~kaushal

[1] http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Projects