[Gluster-users] Replicate Over VPN

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 23:03:03 UTC 2014

On 17 Mar 2014, at 23:11, Alex Chekholko <chekh at stanford.edu> wrote:

> For your async use case, how often does the shared data change?  Perhaps something like a plain rsync every night would be sufficient?  Or a ZFS send/receive if that's faster than rsync?

(This should really have been in reply to Brock, but I lost his post somewhere)

There are some fairly simple solutions for this that may be workable, especially if writes are somewhat constrained. If all reads and writes by a single client go to the same back-end server, perhaps because of cookie or IP-based stickiness, they can cope with longish latency propagating to other servers, read-what-you-just-wrote will always succeed, and simultaneous writes to the same file are very unlikely. A classic use case would be user-uploaded image files for a web server cluster.

Bidirectional rsync has serious issues with deletions. Other systems worth looking at include:
csync2: http://oss.linbit.com/csync2/
Unison: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
Bsync: https://github.com/dooblem/bsync

None of these do what gluster does of course, and may create their own issues!

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Technical Director, Synchromedia Limited

Creators of http://www.smartmessages.net/
UK 1CRM solutions http://www.syniah.com/
marcus at synchromedia.co.uk | http://www.synchromedia.co.uk/