[Gluster-users] Replicate Over VPN

Alex Chekholko chekh at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 17 22:11:37 UTC 2014

Replying back to list.

I don't know of a currently available clustered filesystem that allows
bi-directional asynchronous replication.  Even in your case where you
can have manual curation, what would you want to happen when two humans
modify the same files at the same time in your two geographic locations?
  And don't tell us it will never happen.

Synchronous replication works a bit differently everywhere, so you'll
just want to double-check which is most compatible with your workflow.

In glusterfs, the client talks to all replicas and returns when each
replica has confirmed it has written the data.

In ceph, the client talks to the master replica, and then that master
replica forwards the writes to all the other replicas, and then confirms
to the client that all the replicas are written.

For your async use case, how often does the shared data change?  Perhaps
something like a plain rsync every night would be sufficient?  Or a ZFS
send/receive if that's faster than rsync?