[Gluster-users] One node goes offline, the other node loses its connection to its local Gluster volume

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Tue Mar 11 18:39:49 UTC 2014

On 03/06/2014 04:48 PM, Greg Scott wrote:
>> In your real-life concern, the interconnect would not interfere with the existence of either
>> machines' ip address so after the ping-timeout, operations would resume in a split-brain
>> configuration. As long as no changes were made to the same file on both volumes, when the
>> connection is reestablished, the self-heal will do exactly what you expect.
> Except that's not what happens.  If I ifdown that interconnect NIC, I should see the file system after 42 seconds, right?
No.

Lets take a look at an imaginary volume:

    # gluster volume info foo
    Volume Name: foo
    Type: Replicate
    Volume ID: f8577cab-9ea9-411f-9b85-97c93b1ba7df
    Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
    Transport-type: tcp
    Bricks:
    Brick1: server1:/mnt/1/brick
    Brick2: server2:/mnt/1/brick

    # ping -c1 server1 | grep server1
    PING server1.domain.dom (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    # ping -c1 server2 | grep server2
    PING server2.domain.dom (192.168.0.2) 56(84) bytes of data.

Each server mounts its volume from localhost using an fstab entry like
"localhost:foo /mnt/foo glusterfs _netdev 0 0".

What this actually does is contact glusterd on port 24007 at localhost
and ask for the volume definition for foo. Upon receiving that, the
client then connects directly with the brick servers on whatever port
they have assigned at the resolved ip address for each hostname. In this
scenario, the *client will connect to both server1 and server2 at
192.168.0.1 an 192.168.0.2 respectively*.

Now, on server1 we down the interface. *192.168.0.1 no longer exists*!
The route to 192.168.0.2 no longer exists. The *client can now connect
to neither server*.

This is different from someone pulling a plug. If someone pulls the
plug, *192.168.0.1 will still exist*! The client will still be able to
access the mounted volume through that address even though it can no
longer reach the replica at 192.168.0.2.