[Gluster-users] RFC: Gluster bundles for 3.5

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 21:25:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 4:16 PM, John Mark Walker <jowalker at redhat.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> As you may or may not be aware, there are quite a few maturing projects that may warrant inclusion in a GlusterFS 3.5 bundle:
>
> - gluster-swift
> - gluster-hdfs/gluster-hadoop
> - oVirt 3.4 (for RESTful API and management GUI)
> - pmux - for distributed MapReduce jobs
> - gflocator - implements some measure of data locality, used in pmux
> - glubix - for monitoring with zabbix
> - puppet-gluster - puppet module for deploying GlusterFS

Obviously I agree ;)

I would also nominate libgfapi-python [1] and glupy [2].

Although I wouldn't expect this (although I'd certainly welcome it) is
if major breakages in GlusterFS break Puppet-Gluster, that this be a
blocker for that change, although I don't really see this being an
issue since the user --xml interface is stable.

> I mention these in particular because there are actual, real-life users for each of them. If there are other projects out there that you feel have been overlooked, please nominate them.

Thanks for saving me from doing this :)

> How do we distribute this software? I've long thought that the easiest way to release them is as packages that we make available for download with each major release. We could call the major releases "Gluster Software Distribution" or "Gluster++" or some other witty name that makes it clear that it's more than just GlusterFS.

The amazing kkeithley [3]* might be helping me rpm-ify Puppet-Gluster
this week. This will serve a few use cases including the above, the
CentOS storage SIG, and maybe even RHS if they ever wanted to use
Puppet-Gluster.

> Please comment on both the projects I've listed above, as well as how we should go about making this part of a release.
>
> -JM

Cheers,
James
@purpleidea (twitter / irc)
https://ttboj.wordpress.com/

[1] https://github.com/gluster/libgfapi-python/
[2] https://github.com/jdarcy/glupy/
[3]* kkeithley is even cooler in person than on IRC