[Gluster-users] RFC: Gluster bundles for 3.5

John Mark Walker jowalker at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 20:16:15 UTC 2014

Greetings,

As you may or may not be aware, there are quite a few maturing projects that may warrant inclusion in a GlusterFS 3.5 bundle:

- gluster-swift
- gluster-hdfs/gluster-hadoop
- oVirt 3.4 (for RESTful API and management GUI)
- pmux - for distributed MapReduce jobs
- gflocator - implements some measure of data locality, used in pmux
- glubix - for monitoring with zabbix
- puppet-gluster - puppet module for deploying GlusterFS

I mention these in particular because there are actual, real-life users for each of them. If there are other projects out there that you feel have been overlooked, please nominate them.

How do we distribute this software? I've long thought that the easiest way to release them is as packages that we make available for download with each major release. We could call the major releases "Gluster Software Distribution" or "Gluster++" or some other witty name that makes it clear that it's more than just GlusterFS.

Please comment on both the projects I've listed above, as well as how we should go about making this part of a release.

-JM