[Gluster-users] File Sizes are Different after a Full Re-heal

Adrian Kan adriankan at rogers.com
Sun Mar 2 06:04:31 UTC 2014

Hi!

I am running gluster 3.4.2 (latest stable) and have with bricks setup as a
replicated volume.

I am simulating a disaster by wiping out all the files on one of the brick
(storage-1b) while the other one (storage-1a) holds the complete content

What I've done so far to simulate:

# Remove storage-1b brick

gluster volume remove-brick vol0 replica 1 storage-1b:/mnt/gluster-vol0

# On storage-1b, remove all files and reset attributes

rm -rf /mnt/gluster-vol0/*

rm -rf /mnt/gluster-vol0/.glusterfs

setfattr -x trusted.gfid /mnt/gluster-vol0

setfattr -x trusted.glusterfs.volume-id /mnt/gluster-vol0

# Add the brick back

gluster volume add-brick vol0 replica 2 storage-1b:/mnt/gluster-vol0

# perform full rehal

gluster volume heal vol0 full

Once the reheal has completed, I've noticed some of the files have different
sizes.

Some of them are short of few KBs, but I notice there is one falls short of
nearly 100MB.

Even I try to force a full re-heal of that particular file by removing it
and together with the hex file in .glusterfs, the result after a re-heal is
the same.

rm -f /mnt/gluster-vol0/file

rm -f
/mnt/gluster-vol0/.glusterfs/c7/81/c781e91a-4ffa-47a8-ba98-da111d77075b

gluster volume heal vol0 full

What could be the reason?  Most of these files are sparse files. Can that be
a problem?  Please advise.

Thanks,

Adrian