[Gluster-users] Need help on performance issue

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Mon Jun 30 06:53:24 UTC 2014

Hey Jack,

I asked since I have been trying to use GlusterFS based storage for my
local very-tiny mailserver and it was kind of a disaster.
There was only one mailserver mounting the volume and many times it took
about ages to sync a directory.
Sometimes I had an issue which caused all sort of index errors in the
dovecot log.

Eventually what I did was to mount the FS image file ontop of a
glusterfs the same as many do for VMs.

The FS is fast and redundant but lacks that ability to be flexible for
growth in couple aspects.

My glusterfs nodes are very small with 4gb ram, quad-core coreI5, 2TB
disk at each machine for replication.
It's a very tiny machine and I am considering replacing it with a tiny
Lenovo IOMEGA NAS due to abusive power consumption.

Using maildir that stores lots of tiny files might be the main issue of
the high I/O and related issue(while was not researched enough).

About the high I/O on one node and not the other..
It is possible that most of the load is distributed on one node more
then the other kind of randomly.

What is the size of the mail server?(in terms of GB and INODES, df -i &&
du -h)

Eliezer