[Gluster-users] glusterfsd process spinning

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 14:41:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Justin Clift <justin at gluster.org> wrote:
> On 18/06/2014, at 9:36 AM, Kaushal M wrote:
>> You are right. Since you had installed gluster-3.5, the operating
>> version had changed to 3, which is the operating version of gluster
>> 3.5. This op-version is saved in the glusterd.info file in
>> /var/lib/glusterd.
>> The op-version of gluster-3.4 is just 2. So when you downgraded,
>> glusterd refused to start as it couldn't support features that could
>> have been enabled when you were running gluster-3.5.
>

> What's the workaround?  Delete /var/lib/glusterd/glusterd.info after
> the downgrade, before starting the 3.4 daemons?

Deleting glusterd.info would be a bad idea, as it would cause the UUID
to be regenerated. Instead, you could just edit the glusterd.info
file, and set operating-version to 2. This would allow glusterd to
start up. I would also suggest that the volfiles be regenerated as
well, by running
  'glusterd --xlator-option *.upgrade=on -N'.
If volfiles were generated with newer features/xlators etc., while
running at the higher version, this would make sure that the volfiles
are again compliant with 3.4. This would only work if no new features
have been explicitly enabled. In that case you'd need to edit the
volinfo files and remove any new options that were enabled, before
regenerating the volfiles.

~kaushal