[Gluster-users] performance due to network?

Aronesty, Erik earonesty at expressionanalysis.com
Thu Jun 12 20:40:41 UTC 2014

I suspect I'm having performance issues because of network speeds.

Supposedly I have 10gbit connections on all my NAS devices, however, it seems to me that the fastest I can write is 1Gbit.   When I'm copying very large files, etc, I see 'D' as the cp waits to I/O, but when I go the gluster servers, I don't see glusterfsd waiting (D) to write to the bricks themselves.  I have 4 nodes, each with  10Gbit connection, each has 2 Areca RAID controllers with 12 disk raid5, and the 2 controllers stripped into 1 large volume.   Pretty sure there's plenty of i/o left on the bricks themselves.

Is it possible that "one big file" isn't the right test... should I try 20 big files, and see how saturated my network can get?

Erik Aronesty
Senior Bioinformatics Architect
EA | Quintiles
Genomic Services
4820 Emperor Boulevard
Durham, NC 27703 USA

Office: + 919.287.4011
erik.aronesty at quintiles.com<mailto:kmichailo at expressionanalysis.com>

www.quintiles.com<http://www.quintiles.com/>
www.expressionanalysis.com<http://www.expressionanalysis.com/>
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CDEF4B.84C3E9F0]<https://www.twitter.com/simulx> [cid:image002.jpg at 01CDEF4B.84C3E9F0] <http://www.facebook.com/aronesty>  [cid:image003.jpg at 01CDEF4B.84C3E9F0] <http://www.linkedin.com/in/earonesty>