[Gluster-users] NFS to Gluster Hangs

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 16:10:09 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:32:50AM -0400, Gene Liverman wrote:
> Twice now I have had my nfs connection to a replicated gluster volume stop
> responding. On both servers that connect to the system I have the following
> symptoms:
>
>    1. Accessing the mount with the native client is still working fine (the
>    volume is mounted both that way and via nfs. One app requires the nfs
>    version)
>    2. The logs have messages stating the following: "kernel: nfs: server
>    my-servers-name not responding, still trying"
>
> How can I fix this?

You should check if the NFS-server (a glusterfs process) is still
running:

    # gluster volume status

If the NFS-server is not running anymore, you can start it with:

    # gluster volume start $VOLUME force
    (you only need to do that for one volume)

In case this is with GlusterFS 3.5, you may be hitting a memory leak in
the DRC (Duplicate Request Cache) implementation of the NFS-server. You
can disable DRC with this:

    # gluster volume set $VOLUME nfs.drc off

In glusterfs-3.5.1 DRC will be disabled by default, there have been too
many issues with DRC to enable it for everyone. We need to do more tests
and fix DRC in the current development (master) branch.

HTH,
Niels