[Gluster-users] What Gluster version should I pick for my deployment?

Juan José Pavlik Salles jjpavlik at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 15:15:04 UTC 2014

Hi guys, this is my first message on the list although We've been using
gluster for the last 6 months. I was asked to build a new gluster cluster
to contain around 30 T bytes (and should be able to grow further). Our
budget is really limited and we are thinking about buying cheap hardware
(PCs with no RAID).

The idea is:
-PCs will host 5 4T drives as bricks and a system drive. 8 Gbytes of RAM, 2
Gbit ethernet ports, i5 proccessor.
-We don't care about space as we've got plenty of it now.
-We don't care about energy consumption as we don't pay for it now.
-We aren't looking for High performance storage but cheap, and easy to grow.
-I want to buy 8 PCs and 24 4T WD red drives to reach 48 Tbytes duplicated
in the cluster. This way I can place 3 bricks in each PC and still have two
free slots to grow up to 80TB.

I'd like to know your opinion about:
-The HW I want to use
-What Gluster version should I pick, 3.3, 3.4 or 3.5? I have a small 3.5.1
deployment working right now, but I don't if it's the best choice for a
production cluster.

Thanks

--
Pavlik Salles Juan José