[Gluster-users] GlusterFS and failure domains?

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Sun Jul 6 18:17:03 UTC 2014

On 07/01/2014 05:13 PM, Jonathan Barber wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm investigating GlusterFS+Swift for use in a "large" (starting at
> ~150TB) scale out file system for storing and serving photographic images.
>
> Currently I'm thinking of using servers with JBODs and it's clear how to
> use Gluster's replication sets to give resiliency at the server level.
> However, I'd like to have multiple bricks per server (with a brick per
> drive controller) and managing the replication sets starts to look more
> complicated from a management point of view. Also,when it comes to
> expanding the solution in the future, I reckon that I will be adding
> bricks of different sizes with different numbers of bricks per server -
> further complicating management.
>
> So, I was wondering if there is support for (or plans for) failure
> domains (like Oracle's ASM failure groups) which would allow you to
> describe groups of bricks within which replicas can't be co-located?
> (e.g. bricks from the same server are placed in the same failure domain,
> meaning that no-two replicas are allowed on these groups of bricks).

A warning does already get displayed in CLI when bricks from the same
server are attempted to be part of the same replica set:

[root at deepthought lo]# gluster volume create myvol replica 2
deepthought:/d/brick1 deepthought:/d/brick2
Multiple bricks of a replicate volume are present on the same server.
This setup is not optimal.
Do you still want to continue creating the volume?  (y/n) n
Volume create failed

What other policies would you be interested in associating with failure
domains?

Regards,
Vijay