[Gluster-users] GlusterFS and failure domains?

Jonathan Barber jonathan.barber at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 11:43:06 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I'm investigating GlusterFS+Swift for use in a "large" (starting at ~150TB)
scale out file system for storing and serving photographic images.

Currently I'm thinking of using servers with JBODs and it's clear how to
use Gluster's replication sets to give resiliency at the server level.
However, I'd like to have multiple bricks per server (with a brick per
drive controller) and managing the replication sets starts to look more
complicated from a management point of view. Also,when it comes to
expanding the solution in the future, I reckon that I will be adding bricks
of different sizes with different numbers of bricks per server - further
complicating management.

So, I was wondering if there is support for (or plans for) failure domains
(like Oracle's ASM failure groups) which would allow you to describe groups
of bricks within which replicas can't be co-located? (e.g. bricks from the
same server are placed in the same failure domain, meaning that no-two
replicas are allowed on these groups of bricks).

Or am I worrying about nothing?

Cheers
--
Jonathan Barber <jonathan.barber at gmail.com>