[Gluster-users] Strange side-effect to "option base-port 50152"

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Sun Jan 26 15:22:20 UTC 2014

On 01/26/2014 07:57 PM, Paul Boven wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> While debugging the migration issue, I noticed that sometimes we did in
> fact occasionally hit but 987555 ("Address already in use") when doing a
> live-migration, so I decided to implement the advice in aforementioned bug.
>
> So I set 'option base-port 50152' in /etc/glusterfs/glusterd.vol (note
> that the bug talks about /etc/glusterfs/gluster.vol, which doesn't
> exist).

Yes, this is indeed /etc/glusterfs/glusterd.vol. The reference in the
bug should be a typo.

> The result of this was that migrations completely stopped
> working. Trying to do a migration would cause the process on the sending
> machine to hang, and on the receiving machine, libvirt became completely
> unresponsive, even 'virsh list' would simply hang.
>
> Curiously, 'gluster volume status' showed that, despite setting the
> base-port to 50152, the bricks were still listening on 49152, as before
> the config change & reboot.

Restart of both glusterd and the volume would be necessary to change the
ports where the bricks listen.

I am still not certain as to what caused the migration to hang. Do you
notice anything unusual in the log files when the hang happens?

Regards,
Vijay