[Gluster-users] Feasibility Over Lower Bandwidth Link and General Questions...

Brock Nanson brock at nanson.net
Fri Jan 24 22:44:46 UTC 2014

I'm doing some early research into how/if we can mirror two Samba servers
connected via a 10 mbit VPN.  The intent is to have users (MS Office,
AutoCAD, some GIS workstations) have a 'local' copy of all files, no matter
which office location they're sitting in (and which Samba server they're
working with).  We need to have the identical file (as seen by the other
server) locked when the 'local' copy is open.  Then updated when saved, of
course.

I'm new to this and am working my way up the learning curve with an ice axe
and crampons... I'm still stumbling across the icefield and an attempt at
the summit is a loooong way off.

I've learned that CephFS isn't ready for mainstream use just yet.

I've learned that XtreemFS doesn't lock files with POSIX commands... if the
application using the file doesn't write a lock file (that's quickly
replicated across the OSD's), the potential for both copies being edited at
the same time exists.

I want to be able to ensure the local Samba server utilizes the physically
local files, drives, volumes - whatever you want to call them - to avoid
delays in opening and closing files over the VPN.  Striping across local
and distant drives would presumably create a big speed problem.

On the face of it, is GlusterFS an option that might fit my needs?  Is
there a document that explains the configuration of such an arrangement?
 Clearly I'm going to be setting up a test bed of sorts eventually, but I'd
prefer to start with something that *might* work, rather than something
that simply can't...

Thanks!