[Gluster-users] GlusterFS share authentication?

Dan Mons dmons at cuttingedge.com.au
Wed Jan 22 21:47:38 UTC 2014

Gluster's native "auth.allow/auth.reject" configuration and/or
iptables configured to drop all packets to/from a particular IP range
will stop unwanted clients accessing the services.

Your comment on spoofing IPs is understood, but if a client claimed it
was the IP of another Gluster node, you'd have other problems
manifesting (like failures within Gluster itself, as traffic destined
for another brick would go to the wrong place).

Others have made comments about separate networks, and that would
probably be your best bet.  Gluster does technically listen on all
interfaces, but with appropriate physical networking setup (completely
separate network ranges on physically separate interfaces or VLANs)
you could circumvent security issues there.

For example, our Gluster infrastructure lives in a shared environment
with specific clients who aren't granted access.  We do this via
physical networking setup,  VLANs, and iptables on our core Linux
firewall.  Production VFX users are the only ones who can have network
level access, and everyone else can't see the network range that
Gluster lives on.  I could trivially create another VLAN for the
Gluster nodes to talk amongst themselves, and force all users to only
access services on top of Gluster (Samba, etc) on our production
network.

-Dan

Dan Mons
R&D SysAdmin