[Gluster-users] MS Office/Samba/Glusterfs/Centos

Dan Mons dmons at cuttingedge.com.au
Wed Jan 22 21:37:07 UTC 2014

Sadly we've had no success with Gluster and Microsoft Office.  Current
failures for us have been:

* Windows client hitting Samba+Gluster (not libgfapi) and MS Word and
Excel - not working
* Mac client hitting Gluster's native NFSv3 wth MS Word and Excel - not working

Microsoft Office (in particular Word and Excel) does all sorts of
strange file locking and temporary file placement/renaming to try and
deal with corporate users who insist on using Office as a multi-user
tool for documents (despite every sysadmin's desperate plea to realise
how silly that is).  The end result is pretty much chaos for any
clustered file system.

We've migrated a fair chunk of our business to Google Apps for
Business (handles multi-user perfectly), but for legacy Microsoft
stuff we have a completely separate NAS that we use where admin and
producer types store their Office documents.

It's worth noting too that Adobe Photoshop on Windows (not the Mac
version) has the same problem when opening JPG files only.  It looks
like Photoshop's JPG library is different to their other file IO
libraries, and doesn't work with GlusterFS.  Moving our Photoshop
users to Mac has solved that problem for us.

-Dan
Dan Mons
R&D SysAdmin
Unbreaker of broken things