[Gluster-users] GlusterFS share authentication?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue Jan 21 19:19:27 UTC 2014

On 01/20/2014 10:57 PM, Dan Mons wrote:
> For your workflow you might have end users who simply need to log on
> to the system and use it similar to a simple Windows/SMB share.  My
> advice here would be to use another protocol over the top of GlusterFS
> if you want this sort of behaviour.  I'd consider making your
> GlusterFS nodes only able to communicate with each other via IP
> restrictions, and then using Samba over the top to force user
> authentication at the share level available to all other IPs.

You're describing exactly my current layout :)

The clients in fact *do* only access it over Samba. I just figured that
*if* one user connected a GNU/Linux machine to the LAN, he could simply
connect with write permissions using the GlusterFS Linux client. All
he'd have to do for authenticating is to spoof one of the storage-IPs.

Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Pb