[Gluster-users] Node failure timeouts and mount issues on boot

Alun James ajames at tibus.com
Tue Jan 21 09:50:53 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

I have a test gluster vol setup between 2 physical servers. Centos 6 / Gluster ver 3.4.2-1.el6

Volume Name: storevol0
Type: Replicate
Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: store01.gluster:/mnt/brick0
Brick2: store02.gluster:/mnt/brick0

Each node (store01 and store02) also mounts the gluster vol locally in fstab:

store01.gluster:/storevol0 /home glusterfs defaults,_netdev 0 0

and

store02.gluster:/storevol0 /home glusterfs defaults,_netdev 0 0

When one node reboots I notice 2 results:

- The /home mount on the remaining node is unavailable for 30-60 secs before becoming available.
- The rebooted server does not mount /home on boot, but a mount request after boot up works fine.

I know I can tune the timeout setting and in my particular use case it wont matter so much, however how would this work if VMs where stored on this volume, surely the storage going missing for any number of seconds would cause a real problem with running virtual machines?

How can I get the mount to work on reboot, _netdev seems not to be helping?

Regards

ALUN JAMES
Senior Systems Engineer
Tibus

T: +44 (0)28 9033 1122
E: ajames at tibus.com
W: www.tibus.com

Follow us on Twitter @tibus

Tibus is a trading name of The Internet Business Ltd, a company limited by share capital and registered in Northern Ireland, NI31325. It is part of UTV Media Plc.

This email and any attachment may contain confidential information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorised to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.